Skimming Devices Found at Kansas City Metro Businesses, Hundreds of EBT Cards Affected

TOPEKA, Kan. – The Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) is investigating the use of skimming devices at three businesses in the Kansas City metro area. Thieves used the devices to illegally collect EBT card information from customers.

The investigation began after the DCF EBT team noticed suspicious out-of-state phone numbers repeatedly calling to check balances for numerous EBT cards. This unusual activity led investigators to the three businesses where the affected cards had been used.

Acting quickly, the DCF proactively shut down approximately 1,000 EBT cards that had been used at these locations. Skimming devices were subsequently discovered at all three businesses. The DCF has notified the stores about the devices and encouraged them to cooperate with law enforcement.

DCF Secretary Laura Howard stated that the agency’s swift action prevented the theft of $369,532 in benefits for approximately 830 cardholders. Replacement cards loaded with the restored benefits are being mailed to affected individuals and should arrive within 5-7 business days.

Unfortunately, the DCF has also identified 162 cardholders whose benefits, totaling $38,653.90, were actually stolen through these skimming incidents. A federal provision that reimbursed stolen SNAP and TANF benefits expired on December 20, 2024, and was not renewed. As a result, these stolen benefits cannot be replaced, and there is no state funding currently available for reimbursement. The DCF encourages victims needing food assistance to contact United Way 211 by dialing 211 or visiting 211KC.org.

“It’s disheartening that there are people preying on some of the most vulnerable Kansans – children and the elderly – and are stealing the money they depend on to put food on their tables,” said Secretary Howard.

Protecting EBT Cards and Benefits:

The DCF is urging all Kansas EBT cardholders to take precautions against skimming and other fraud. They recommend using the ebtEDGE app, available on the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store, or accessing the ebtEDGE Cardholder Portal at ebtedge.com. These platforms offer features such as freezing and unfreezing cards, blocking out-of-state and online transactions, and regularly changing PINs. Cardholders should avoid using third-party EBT apps as they do not offer the same level of security.

The DCF also warns against phishing attempts and advises cardholders never to share their card information or PIN over the phone or via text message. The DCF and its contractor, Fidelity Information Services (FIS), will never request this information directly.

“We encourage all cardholders to utilize the tools available through ebtEDGE to help protect their money from falling into the hands of thieves,” Howard said.

Anyone who suspects their EBT card has been compromised should immediately report the suspected fraud and request a new card by calling ebtEDGE Customer Service at 1-800-997-6666 or visiting ebtedge.com. The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s skimming page offers additional information about skimming scams and EBT card skimming. Visit https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-you/scams-and-safety/common-frauds-and-scams/skimming

Hot this week

Missing 2-Year-Old Safe, Father Arrested After Violent Kidnapping Sparks Hours-Long Wichita Search

WICHITA, Kan. — A 2-year-old girl is safely back in her mother's arms after a violent domestic incident led to an hours-long search, a citywide police effort, and an afternoon AMBER Alert on Sunday.

Discovery Leads to Suspension, Investigation at YRTC Hastings

A staff member at YRTC Hastings, Lincoln, NE, has been suspended after a routine check revealed inappropriate notes on a youth's desk. DHHS reported the findings to law enforcement and the child abuse hotline. The agency prioritizes the safety of youths and is conducting an investigation before further comments.

UPDATE: Investigation Reveals Premeditated Plan In Winfield Homicides

COWLEY COUNTY – The Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) and the Winfield Police Department are providing an update regarding the Aug. 11 shootings in the 400 block of West 9th Ave., in Winfield, that left six family members deceased.

Latest Headlines

🎙️ Coaches Rewind: Brad Mason Beloit Cross Country Coach 8-19-2026

Coaches Rewind: Brad Mason Beloit Cross Country Coach 8-19-2026

🎙️ Talk with the Doc: Ashly Doering Goad Medical Clinic OCMH

Ashly Doering with Goad Medical Clinic at Osborne County...

🎙️ Timeless Tuesdays: Dale Wooten

Dale Wooten talks with Lydia and Blake about growing...

🎙️ Coaches Rewind Brad Gober Beloit High Football 8-18-2026

Coaches Rewind Brad Gober Beloit High Football 8-18-2026

🎙️ Glen Elder Radio News – 8/18/2026

Glen Elder Radio News for Tuesday, August 18, 2026
- Advertisement -

Related Articles

Popular Categories

- Advertisement -