These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 3, 2017 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 3, 2017 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Dennis Henry and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• he received a cost estimate from Geocore Services, Inc. to monitor the well sampling done at the Nemaha County Landfill. Commissioners approved the estimate at a cost of
• he still has not been told what it will cost to repair the trash truck that is used to pick up cardboard for recycling. Dennis let Commissioners know that he would prefer to go ahead and purchase a used trash truck to replace this truck. Commissioners approved the purchase of a used 2007 Freightliner trash truck from Elliott Equipment Company at a cost of $35,150. This cost is to be paid out of the county’s Capital Outlay Fund.
• he is trying to get quotes on what it would cost to put concrete in the base of a portion of the Sabetha-Wetmore Road.
• he received two quotes to overlay a 6-mile stretch of county road located south of Centralia along G Road and along 56th Road. Bettis Asphalt & Construction, Inc. bid
$896,310 and Hall Brothers, Inc. bid $810,611. Commissioners made no decision concerning these quotes at this time.
Dennis Henry moved to accept the resignation of Scott Strathman as the Reilly Township Treasurer and the resignation of Steven Hermesch as the Reilly Township Clerk and to appoint Steven Hermesch as the Reilly Township Treasurer and Robert Steinlage as the Reilly Township Clerk effective immediately. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the appointment letters for Steven Hermesch and Robert Steinlage as presented.
The board reviewed the minutes from the March 27, 2017 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with Tim Burdiek and Gary Scoby voting aye. Dennis Henry abstained from the vote because he had to leave the March 27th meeting early before it was adjourned.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed add/abate orders as presented.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• they are currently holding seventeen inmates in the jail.
• they booked in five individuals into the jail this past week.
• he is still working on hiring two additional correction officers in the Sheriff’s Office.
Senior Services/Public Transit Director Diane Yunghans and Seneca Dietary Manager Alane Bloom came before the board to speak to Commissioners about purchasing new food trays, a sealer, and a label maker for the Nutrition Center to use with the Meals on Wheels Program. Gary Scoby moved to approve these purchases from Oliver Packaging & Equipment Company at a cost of $3,032.
Diane and Alane also let Commissioners know that they will be honoring the volunteers for the Meals on Wheels Program on Monday, April 24th. Commissioners agreed to pay for T-shirts for the volunteers out of the Commissioners Fund for this event.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the end of March. Dennis Henry moved to approve the March 2017 pay vouchers and warrants as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners had no county business to discuss with Brad at this time.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 12:45 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 10, 2017 at 9:00 am.