These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 8, 2019 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 8, 2019 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Assistant Kristina Talkington, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• they have been hauling a lot of rock on county roads.
• he now has cold patch on hand to use on some of the chip and seal roads where needed.
• he has had to block off a few bridges along township roads throughout the county.
• he received a quote from Hall Brothers to put a three inch overlay on 146th Road from Highway 63 west to the viaduct. Dennis shared this quote with Commissioners. Commissioners made no decision regarding this issue at this time.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• he has hired Devin O’Neil as a corrections officer for Nemaha County. Devin started work for the county on March 27th at a rate of pay of $14.06 per hour.
• they are currently holding seventeen inmates in the jail.
• they booked nine individuals into the jail over the weekend.
• the new Durango is now in and being prepared for the road.
• the Under Sheriff’s patrol vehicle is now back in service.
• several of his employees will be using vacation hours over the next few months before their July 1 deadline.
Senior Services/Public Transit Administrative Assistant Marie Weaver let Commissioners know that they have hired Donald Hulsing as a relief driver for the Transportation Department. Donald will begin work for the county on April 10th at a rate of pay of $13.79 per hour. Marie also let Commissioners know that Brian Olberding is interested in serving on the Nemaha County Advisory Council. Tim Burdiek moved to appoint Brian Olberding to fill a vacant seat on the Nemaha County Advisory Council. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Lynn Niehues with Three Rivers, Inc. came before the board to update Commissioners on the recent activities of this organization in the counties that they serve in Northeast Kansas.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 1, 2019 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed the Nemaha County Quarterly Financial Statement for the quarter ending March 31, 2019 as presented.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners asked Brad about procedural issues for the upcoming public hearings to be held to consider approval of the term sheet with NextEra Energy Resources.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 1:35 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 15, 2019 at 9:00 am.