Journal of Proceedings for the Smith County Commissioners – March 13, 2017
The County Commissioners met in regular session on March 13, 2017 in the County Commissioners’ Room. Present were Commissioners Art Befort, Tom James, and Roger Allen. Also present was Sharon Wolters, Clerk; and, Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor.
Commissioners approved the agenda for the March 13, 2017 meeting.
Commissioners approved the March 6, 2017 minutes.
The chairman reviewed and signed the Treasurer’s daily balance sheet envelopes. The clerk attested his signature.
Commissioners reviewed a letter from the USDA office concerning CRP Contract for the landfill farm ground.
Commissioners approved vouchers #35027-35033 from the following funds:
NOXIOUS WEED 94.21
NEXT GEN. E 911 1899.00
Diversion Fund 73.00
SP Law Enforcement 21.98
Motor Vehicle 217.00
TOTAL $ 7,976.08
Commissioners discussed the burning ban document from Sumner County. No change in policy was made at this time.
Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor, discussed the following:
- Commissioners discussed the road work completed on T Road.
- Allen discussed maintenance on 200 Road between Z & AA Roads.
- Fritz discussed the concrete crushing bid. Fritz asked the commissioners to revisit the topic of the bid accepted in the March 6, 2017 meeting. Commissioners agreed to allow the road department to use the crushed concrete and revise their bid acceptance to pay the rate of $9.00/ton as was listed in the bid letter from CenCon. Fritz reported that he wishes to use the crushed concrete on 150 Road between S Road and the landfill entry gate. Fritz reported that he also wishes to use the road work for training purposes and will have a Foley Equipment blade trainer and Penco Engineering participate in the project to train blade men. Commissioners approved the project.
- Commissioners reviewed a road work consent document for land owners which gives protection to the county. Commissioners reviewed the request letter submitted by Holthus to work on the Home on the Range Road. Commissioners discussed using the agreement to allow Holthus to work on the Home on the Range road for 6 months. Befort agreed to take the information to the county attorney for review.
- Fritz reviewed additional job applications for the road department. Commissioners agreed to meet with Tazman Manchester during the next commissioners meeting.
- Fritz discussed equipment purchases for the new road mechanic.
- Fritz reviewed the warranty information on the CAT blades.
Fritz left the meeting.
Chad Meyer, Patrick Eastes and ElDean Holthus joined the meeting.
Chad Meyer, Communications Director, discussed the following:
- Meyer reported that he has completed the ICS 300 course and will take the ICS 400 course.
- Meyer discussed EM certification and what that means to the state. Meyer reported that he were given two years when he was hired to get his certification. He reported that he will meet that deadline.
- James discussed the fire. Meyer reported that the firemen at the scene was very helpful. Meyer reported that the new 911 equipment was helpful in locating the local workers. Meyer reported that the system worked very well and praised the local responders for cooperating during the fire and other calls that were received during that event.
- Meyer reported that the extra phone line installation is complete.
Meyer left the meeting.
Patrick Eastes, EMS Director, discussed the following:
- Eastes reported that one vehicle has a fuel and oil leak. The vehicle is presently at Kingsbury’s to get a repair estimate.
- Befort asked about the commissioners meeting with Eastes and the sheriff and discussing the transport of prisoners.
Eastes left the meeting.
ElDean Holthus asked about the request to work on the Home on the Range road. Allen indicated that the commissioners will provide the agreement that will be given to Holthus when the document is completed. Holthus agreed to do snow removal at this location if commissioners wish to have them do that as well. Commissioners agreed to meet with Holthus on March 27, 2017, after the County Attorney reviews the agreement. Holthus asked about old planks approximately 6 feet in length for repairing footbridges. Holthus asked about road work on 90 Road, as well. Holthus reported that there will be a golf tournament on April 22, 2017. The Home on the Range movie will be shown at that time. Also discussed was an additional semi private event for aviators. Holthus left the meeting.
Fritz rejoined the meeting and discussed final decision for hiring a replacement blade man. Commissioners requested an interview with Manchester next week.
Commissioners reviewed a request for solid waste abatement. Commissioners approved the abatement.
Chris Bailey joined the meeting.
Justine Benoit, NWKsP&D, joined the meeting and discussed the services of the organization. Justine discussed the bridge grant program through the CBDG (Community Block Development Grant) program. Benoit indicated that the cities also qualify for grant projects through the NWKsP&D. Benoit left the meeting.
Chris Bailey, Undersheriff, asked about the inmate medical bills and responsibility for those bills. Commissioners agreed to check with the county attorney for additional information.
Darrin Hawkins, Wade Wagner, and Robin Billings, representing the Smith County Fair Board, discussed funding for a storm shelter located on the fair grounds. Commissioners agreed to collect some additional information.
As there was no further business, the meeting was adjourned.