States told by Trump administration to ‘undo’ full SNAP benefits paid for November

by Jacob Fischler, Kansas Reflector
November 9, 2025

Following a late Friday emergency ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court, the Trump administration has instructed states that authorized full November nutrition assistance benefits to return a portion, another unprecedented reversal for a program that helps 42 million people afford groceries.

A Saturday memo from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service said states should fund 65% of benefits for users of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, often called food stamps. 

Those that had authorized full payments in line with earlier administration guidance should “immediately undo” that action, according to the memo.

“To the extent States sent full SNAP payment files for November 2025, this was unauthorized,” the memo said. “Accordingly, States must immediately undo any steps taken to issue full SNAP benefits for November 2025. Please advise the appropriate FNS Regional Office representative of steps taken to correct any actions taken that do not comply with this memorandum.”

President Donald Trump and top administration officials have said they cannot pay full SNAP benefits during the government shutdown that began Oct. 1 and instead, under court orders, are using a contingency fund to make partial payments.

Shutdown chaos surrounds SNAP

Saturday’s guidance from Patrick A. Penn, the department’s deputy under secretary for food, nutrition and consumer services, marked the latest turnaround in a chaotic few days for the agency, states that administer SNAP and the millions of Americans who depend on it to afford food.

Penn wrote that, in light of the Supreme Court’s order pausing lower court rulings that USDA must pay full November benefits, the administration was returning to its position that SNAP benefits should be funded at 65%. 

States — including Wisconsin and Kansas — that issued full benefits did so under a Friday memo, also signed by Penn, that said states should authorize full payments for SNAP, consistent with a Thursday ruling in federal court.

Kansas, Wisconsin govs express dismay

Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly, a Democrat, in a late Friday statement expressed disappointment with the administration’s appeal to the Supreme Court and noted the state had authorized full payments earlier in the day for all eligible Kansans.

“These Kansans, most of them children, seniors or people with disabilities, were struggling to put food on their plates,” she said. “Why the President would petition the highest court to deny food to hungry children is beyond me. It does nothing to advance his political agenda. It does not hurt his perceived enemies. It only hurts our most vulnerable and our reputation around the globe.”

In a Sunday statement, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, flatly refused to try to claw back any authorized benefits. The state acted in compliance with a court order, he said.

“After we did so, the Trump Administration assured Wisconsin and other states that they were actively working to implement full SNAP benefits for November and would ‘complete the processes necessary to make funds available,’” he said. “They have failed to do so to date.”

U.S. Rep. Angie Craig of Minnesota, the top Democrat on the House Agriculture Committee, said in a statement: “Let’s be clear about what this is —  the Trump administration is demanding that food assistance be taken away from the households that have already received it. They would rather go door to door, taking away people’s food, than do the right thing and fully fund SNAP for November so that struggling veterans, seniors, and children can keep food on the table. It is incomprehensible, incompetent and inconsistent with our values as Americans.” 

Court action

The earlier order, from U.S. District Chief Judge John J. McConnell Jr. in Rhode Island, told the department to use sources outside the contingency fund to make full November payments by Friday. The order was appealed to the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

But Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, acting on behalf of the high court, granted the administration’s request for an emergency stay on Friday night, speeding up the process for what Jackson said would then be an “expeditious” decision by the appeals court but also changing things yet again.

No longer, for the moment, required by a court order to pay full November benefits, the administration instructed states in the Saturday memo to have the vendors that process payments to the electronic benefit transfer cards withhold part of the month’s allotment.

“States must not transmit full benefit issuance files to EBT processors,” Penn wrote. “Instead, States must continue to process and load the partial issuance files that reflect the 35 percent reduction of maximum allotments detailed in the November 5 guidance.”

Shutdown negotiations

SNAP funding has been a key issue during the shutdown. 

In a plan published Sept. 30, the USDA said it would continue to pay for the roughly $9 billion per month program through its contingency fund. The administration reversed itself 10 days later, telling states there would be no SNAP available for November.

A bipartisan U.S. Senate bill filed Sunday would end the shutdown. It includes provisions to fully fund SNAP, the contingency fund and the $23 billion children nutrition programs fund that may be a source of emergency funding for SNAP if the shutdown persists.

Kansas Reflector Editor in Chief Sherman Smith and Wisconsin Examiner Editor in Chief Ruth Conniff contributed to this report.

Kansas Reflector is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Kansas Reflector maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Sherman Smith for questions: info@kansasreflector.com.

Hot this week

🎙️ K-State Agriculture Today: 2187 – Considerations for Sorghum Planting…Early Weaning for Drought Management

Factors for Sorghum Planting Conditions Early Weaning for Calves Looking for...

Kansas Sampler Foundation Launches Online Kansas Guidebook for Explorers

The Kansas Sampler Foundation has launched the Online Kansas Guidebook, designed to enhance exploration of the state by revealing hidden gems, historic sites, and local attractions. Available at kansasguidebook.org, it provides trip-planning tools, especially for Kansas Explorers Club members, and supports rural culture through community engagement and education.

🎙️ Wellness Wednesday: Jolene DeBolt Astra Healthcare and Wellness & Elysian Vitality Spa

Jolene DeBolt with Astra Healthcare and Wellness & Elysian...

🎙️ Lydia & Blake at the Lake: Lindsay Brinker Nex-Tech

Lindsay Brinker with Nex-Tech talks with Lydia and Blake...

Particularly Dangerous Tornado Watch Issued for Northeast Kansas, Southeast Nebraska Until 8 p.m.

A tornado watch has been issued for northeast Kansas and southeast Nebraska, predicting multiple tornadoes, including a few intense ones, on Monday afternoon and evening. Severe thunderstorms are expected, with threats of large hail, damaging winds, and life-threatening conditions. Residents are urged to stay alert and prepared for rapidly changing weather.

Latest Headlines

🎙️ Public Affairs: Bruce Dierking – Baltic States – 5/24/2026

Katy Jeter recently talked with Bruce Dierking about his...

KBI Investigating Fatal Officer-Involved Shooting In Wichita

Wichita, Kan. – The Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) is investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred Saturday in Wichita, Kansas.

Hire Wire: Tipton Schools Seeks Cook Position

Tipton Schools 2026 - 2027 School YearCook - Full...

State Track & Field Qualifiers Announced; Scheduled Released

The 2026 Kansas State High School Activities Association Track & Field Championships will be held on May 29th and 30th at Cessna Stadium, Wichita State University. High school qualifiers from across Kansas will compete in this major event. Fans can find ticket details and stadium policies on the KSHSAA website.

Regional High School Track & Field Results

The post lists various high school meets organized by class, ranging from Class 1A to Class 6A. Each class includes specific high schools hosting meets, such as Greeley County and Lincoln High School in Class 1A, up to Blue Valley and Wichita Northwest in Class 6A.

🎙️ Campfire Chats: Jenesia Larson Bumper to Bumper

Jenesia Larson, Manager of Bumper to Bumper in Beloit,...

🎙️ Public Affairs: Waterville Nickel Days – 5/23/2026

Katy Jeter talks with Darla Dick, Gary Riesen, and...

🎙️ Lydia & Blake at the Lake: Lucille Heller Waconda Cultural Association

Lucille Heller with the Waconda Cultural Association talks about...
- Advertisement -

Related Articles

Popular Categories

- Advertisement -