These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
June 25, 2018 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, June 25, 2018 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Dennis Henry leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• they are still sealing on the Sabetha-Wetmore Road at this time.
• he wanted to make sure that Commissioners were still OK with redoing an additional four miles of the Sabetha-Wetmore Road this summer. Following discussion, Tim Burdiek moved to approve the quote from Bergkamp Construction to redo a four mile stretch of the Sabetha-Wetmore Road at a cost of $422,400. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
• he took care of the weed control issues at the county shop in Corning.
• Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp received a right of way easement request from Rural Water District #3 to bore under the intersection of 96th Road and P Road near Kelly. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the right of way easement with Rural Water District #3. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the request form as presented.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• one of the new patrol cars recently hit a deer and will have to be repaired.
• the other new patrol car is now in and is being prepared to be used on the road.
• he would like to request a 30-day extension for the use of vacation hours for Sara Rethman in his department. Commissioners agreed to allow this extension.
• they are currently holding fourteen inmates in the jail, one inmate in the Jackson County jail, and one inmate at the Osawatomie State Hospital.
• they booked five individuals into the jail this past week.
Jane Sunderland with Nemaha County Community Health Services came before the board to request funding from Nemaha County for their 2018-2019 budget. Ms. Sunderland requested
$80,000 from the county for 2018-2019, which is the same amount that was levied for this entity for 2017-2018.
Jeff Kidd and Loren Henry came before the board on behalf of SBS Insurance Agency to present a policy renewal quote for Nemaha County for the policy year beginning July 1, 2018. A few
changes needed to be made to the policy yet, so Commissioners did not approve the renewal quote at this time.
County Appraiser Betty Roeder came before the board to present to Commissioners her 2019 budget request. She is requesting $189,600 for 2019, which is an increase of $1,500 over what was levied for her office for 2018.
Richelle Marting and Hannah Zimmerman with the Forbes Law Group and several Nemaha County residents (Doug Grollmes, Jim Bloom, Robert Carson, Lane Hanzlicek, Logan Henry, Randy Henry, Nancy Henry, Cindy Grollmes, Mark Grollmes, and Ginny Pfrang) came before the board to speak to Commissioners about adopting a resolution that would reiterate current Kansas State law concerning the ownership of agricultural land by corporate land owners.
County Attorney Brad Lippert was also present for this discussion. No decision was made by the Commissioners regarding the adoption of a resolution at this time.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of June.
Gary Scoby moved to approve the quote submitted by Epoxy Coating Specialists in the amount of $11,179 to replace the flooring in the Driver’s License Office at the Pioneer Building. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Dennis Henry signed the quote as presented.
The board reviewed the minutes from the June 18, 2018 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Dennis Henry adjourned the meeting at 2:25 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, July 2, 2018 at 9:00 am.