The County Commissioners met in a regular session on May 29, 2018 in the County Commissioners’ Room. Present were Commissioners Art Befort, Roger Allen and Tom James. Also present were Sharon Wolters, Clerk; and, Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor.
Befort opened the meeting with prayer.
Commissioners revised and approved the agenda for the May 29, 2018 meeting.
Commissioners revised, approved, and signed the May 21, 2018 minutes.
Commissioners approved Payroll # 11 for $103,177.90
Commissioners approved voucher #37340-34372 from the following accounts:
Noxious Weed 6837.82
Health Care Sales Tax 36.00
Next Gen 911 4151.75
Sheriff VIN Fund 532.30
TOTAL $ 25,551.02
Fritz discussed the following:
- James discussed tube maintenance on 110 Road between E & F Roads.
- James reported that he visited several cemetery locations over the weekend and the road maintenance was well done on the roads by cemetery locations that he visited.
- Allen discussed maintenance on AA Road between 230 & 250 Roads.
- Commissioners reviewed the rock list. Fritz reported that they will be rocking Z Road between 280 & 290 Roads.
- Fritz reviewed maintenance on the reclaimer. Fritz indicated that Foley Equipment rep. will be here next week to discuss options for equipment repair and purchase.
- Fritz reported that he has contacted APAC about using asphalt to repair the first mile of P Road.
- Befort discussed an offer from Kelly Lyon to provide rock for some water damage projects. James reported that Lyon visited with the commissioners prior to the official start of the meeting and commissioners agreed to review the offer after today’s meeting convened.
- Befort reported on the pre-construction conference schedule for the Hwy. 36 hospital entrance project. Fritz reported that APAC plans to start on the project this week.
- Befort and Allen discussed 140 Road maintenance.
- Befort reported that he has discussed road maintenance with Vicki Rader, Harlan. Fritz and Befort agreed to visit the site this week.
- Befort asked about Zelma Peterson’s road maintenance request. Fritz reported that he has not received any additional communication about this location.
- Fritz gave an updated report on mowing road sides. Fritz reported that additional maintenance has been added to the mowing this year. Allen expressed concerns that the county was running behind on mowing maintenance.Fritz also reported that the mowing was started later this year than previous years.
- Commissioners discussed the use of crushed concrete to complete pothole maintenance. James indicated that he believes the concrete is a good solution for repairs.
Fritz left the meeting.
Hansen joined the meeting and reported on training she has received for assigning new addresses. Hansen reported that an address has been assigned to the new cell tower located in Oak Township. Commissioners thanked Hansen for her service. Hansen left the meeting.
A motion was made by Befort and seconded by James to convene in executive session from 10:10 a.m. till 10:20 a.m. to discuss a change in employee status. Regular session reconvened at 10:20 a.m. No action was taken.
Mark Younger joined the meeting.
A motion was made by Befort and seconded by James to convene in executive session from 10:20 a.m. till 10:30 a.m. to discuss a change in employee status. Also in the session was Mark Younger. Regular session reconvened at 10:20 a.m. Commissioners agreed to adjust Younger’s duties to care for the courthouse lawn and consider taking bids for courthouse lawn maintenance for 2018. Commissioners instructed Wolters to advertise the bids which will be accepted till June 11, 2018. Younger left the meeting.
Kevin Armstrong and Mike Broomfield, Colonial Life Insurance, joined the meeting and discussed voluntary benefits insurance programs available for employers. Commissioners agreed to make a decision and let Broomfield know by June 11. Broomfield and Armstrong left the meeting.
Chris Jones joined the meeting. Commissioners discussed weed maintenance in Smith County.