These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
May 7, 2018 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, May 7, 2018 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Dennis Henry leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• he received three sealed bids for the hay ground at the landfill. Joe Dalinghaus bid $900, Tom Schultejans bid $1,000, and Linus Huerter bid $905. Commissioners agreed to accept the bid from Tom Schultejans in the amount of $1,000.
• he will have a couple of guys off of work for a while due to upcoming surgeries.
• there was storm damage done recently to the announcers booth and the concession stand at the arena at the fairgrounds.
• Coughlin Company is still working on J Rd south of Seneca at this time.
• Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp needed the Commissioners’ signatures on the KDOT agreement for the road sign project. Commissioners signed the agreement as presented.
Senior Services/Public Transit Director Diane Yunghans came before the board to request a step increase in pay for Regis Feldkamp and Marie Weaver, who have both been with the county for three years now. Commissioners agreed to increase the pay for Regis from $14.99 per hour to
$15.83 per hour effective April 21st and to increase the pay for Marie from $15.49 per hour to
$16.33 per hour effective June 21st. Diane also let Commissioners know that she had Steve Fangman fix the electrical issues with the 2009 Grand Caravan used for the Meals on Wheels Program. This repair cost approximately $200. Diane stated that they will probably just keep this vehicle now as a reserve vehicle for her department.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• they are currently holding thirteen inmates in the jail.
• they booked seven individuals into the jail this past week.
• two Nemaha County residents were recently arrested for child sex related crimes following an FBI investigation.
• Jail Administrator Lori Yunghans will be resigning her position effective May 18th.
• the new patrol cars purchased in January still have not come in at this time.
• he is still dealing with some roof issues at the new jail.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 30, 2018 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Tim Burdiek moved to approve a cereal malt beverage application from St. Mary’s Church in order for them to have a beer garden at their annual church picnic. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Dennis Henry signed the cereal malt beverage license as presented.
Spencer Jenkins, Jeffrey Bryce, and Mark Woods with NextEra Energy Resources came before the board to speak to Commissioners about the development of the Soldier Creek Windfarm in Nemaha County. Mr. Jenkins and Mr. Bryce updated Commissioners concerning the status of the project at this time. They stated that right now they are focusing on the internal engineering of the project, the environmental study that needs to be done, and the signing of lease agreements with local landowners. They also stated that they plan to hold a community meeting sometime soon to address questions that members of the community may have.
Chairman Dennis Henry signed a letter of support as presented for Three Rivers, Inc. to aid in their pursuit of a grant funded by the Department of Children and Families Rehabilitation Services.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad discussed with Commissioners the draft amendment to the lease agreement between the Nemaha County Commission and the Kansas Department of Revenue for office space for the Driver’s License Office in Seneca.
Commissioners asked Brad to review the State Employee Health Plan contract renewal for 2019- 2021.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Dennis Henry adjourned the meeting at 1:09 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, May 14, 2018 at 9:00 am.