These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 23, 2018 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 23, 2018 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Dennis Henry leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• he needed an executive session with Commissioners. Tim Burdiek moved to hold a five minute executive session until 9:07 am to discuss the pay of non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum, Road and Bridge Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans. The meeting returned to open session at 9:07 am with the Commissioners agreeing to a step increase pay for Road and Bridge Office Assistant Kristina Talkington from a rate of $13.18 per hour to a rate of $13.97 per hour effective March 21st.
• he would like to order an oil heater for the new Recycling Center baler. Commissioners agreed to this purchase at a cost of $850.
• Coughlin Company plans to start work next Monday on J Road south of Seneca.
• the guys recently did some work on Bridge J-24 along 120th Road.
• he will need to do some blade patching on the Sabetha-Wetmore Road this season before this section of road is redone later this year.
Gary Scoby moved to approve the appointment of Eric Rokey to the Rural Sabetha Fire District
#5 Board per the recommendation of the existing fire board members. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the appointment letter as presented. Mr. Rokey is filling the vacancy on the board created by the resignation of Merlin Wenger.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of April.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• he has hired Jean Rasmussen as a corrections officer to start work for the county on April 25th. Jean will fill the position created by the resignation of Alishia Hynek.
• they are currently holding ten inmates in the jail.
• they booked six individuals into the jail this past week.
• he plans to attend the National Sheriff’s Conference in June in New Orleans.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners let Brad know that Westar Energy is finished with the East Nemaha to Brown project. Commissioners plan to deed a tract of land involved in this project to the local landowner now that the project is complete.
Brad asked Commissioners about tinting the windows and glass doors in his office and the annex area of the courthouse. Commissioners agreed to this request.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 16, 2018 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came back before the board with a deed involving the tract of land that Westar Energy just finished a project on. Gary Scoby moved to approve the quit claim deed to Eldo Sylvester and Virginia Sylvester as Co-Trustees of the Eldo & Virginia Sylvester Trust. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Dennis Henry signed the deed as presented.
Commissioners called and spoke to Eric Stallbaumer with AHRS Construction about the kitchen renovation project at the Nemaha County Community Building.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Dennis Henry adjourned the meeting at 12:41 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 30, 2018 at 9:00 am.