These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 2, 2018 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 2, 2018 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Dennis Henry leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• he spoke to three different landowners about the replacement of Bridge D-5, which lies between sections 9 and 10 of Berwick Township. Dennis stated that all three of these landowners were in agreement with the replacement of this bridge.
• he recently ordered more tubes.
• the county needs to make a payment of $24,616.20 toward the new baler for the Recycling Center in order for the company to continue to build the new baler. The Commissioners advised Dennis to pay for this out of the Capital Outlay Fund.
• he has had the guys hauling rock on county roads and also hauling chips for use this summer when sealing county roads.
• he would like to hold off on the transfer from the Road and Bridge Fund to the Special Machinery Fund at this time.
• Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp received a right of way easement request from Blue Valley Telecommunications to bore under the intersection of F Road and 120th Road. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the right of way easement request with Blue Valley Telecommunications. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the request as presented.
The board reviewed the minutes from the March 26, 2018 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• they are currently holding eight inmates in the jail.
• they booked four individuals into the jail this past week.
• the accident report is completed from the accident that Jerry Birdsley was involved in recently. Rich stated that this report will be sent to the county’s insurance company. Rich also stated that this patrol car is still in service at this time, that most of the damage to the vehicle is cosmetic.
• Epoxy Coating Specialists will begin the flooring replacement project at the Sheriff’s Office tomorrow. Rich stated that this project will be done in at least two different phases.
Commissioners left the meeting room at 10:00 am to meet with Deann Williams and Julie Earnest with the State of Kansas Division of Vehicles. Commissioners showed Ms. Williams and Ms. Earnest office space in the Pioneer Building and elsewhere throughout town as possible new locations for the Driver’s License Office in Seneca. Commissioners returned to the meeting room at 11:15 am.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the end of March. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the pay vouchers and warrants for March 2018 as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Chairman Dennis Henry signed add/abate orders as presented.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners had no county business to discuss with Brad at this time.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Dennis Henry adjourned the meeting at 12:55 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 9, 2018 at 9:00 am.