These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
March 26, 2018 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, March 26, 2018 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Dennis Henry leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• someone contacted him last week claiming to have incurred damage to their windshield after following our trash truck down the highway after it had dumped at the transfer station. Commissioners advised Dennis to have this individual turn this issue over to their insurance company.
• a representative with Terracon would like to retest an area on the Sabetha-Wetmore Road to make sure that the right amount of concrete was added into the base of this road in this area. Dennis stated that Terracon will pay for the cost of this additional testing.
Bret Spielman, Ken Georg, and Dwaine Baumgartner with Capioma Township came before the board to speak to Commissioners about a tube that needs to be replaced along 136th Road between sections 4 and 9 of Capioma Township. The county will do some research about the original installation of this tube and will get an estimate of what it would cost to replace this tube and then get back in contact with the township officials regarding this issue.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• a patrol car was involved in an accident Sunday night along Highway 36 just west of Seneca. Rich stated that the Kansas Highway Patrol is working the accident.
• they are currently holding nine inmates in the jail.
• they booked six individuals into the jail this past week.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of March.
The board reviewed the minutes from the March 19, 2018 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Lyle Feldkamp with Gilman Township came before the board to speak to Commissioners about the removal of a bridge and the installation of a tube along M Road on the border between Gilman Township and Richmond Township. Mr. Feldkamp is concerned about the tube being
able to handle a big rain. Commissioners advised Mr. Feldkamp that they would speak to Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum about this issue.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners had no county business to discuss with Brad at this time.
Following discussion, Commissioners agreed to renew a 3-year Plexar Contract with AT&T for local phone service for the county in the amount of $2,099.16 per month.
County Clerk/Election Officer Mary Kay Schultejans presented a quote to Commissioners for new election equipment for Nemaha County. The county’s current election equipment was purchased in 2005. The quote for the new equipment is from Election Systems & Software in the amount of $76,139.00. Commissioners agreed to allow Mary Kay to spend up to $80,000 for the new equipment and all necessary accessories. The cost of the new equipment is to be paid out the Election portion of the Capital Outlay Fund.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Dennis Henry adjourned the meeting at 12:55 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 2, 2018 at 9:00 am.