Journal of Proceedings for the Smith County Commissioners
February 20, 2018
The County Commissioners met in a regular session on February 20, 2018 in the County Commissioners’ Room. Present were Commissioners Art Befort and Tom James. Roger Allen was absent. Also present were Sharon Wolters, Clerk; and, Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor.
Allen opened the meeting with prayer.
Commissioners revised and approved the agenda for the February 20, 2018 meeting.
Commissioners revised, approved, and signed the February 12, 2017 minutes.
Commissioners approved voucher #36747-36755 from the following accounts:
Nox. Weed 6.75
Next Gen 911 237.50
TOTAL $ 4955.42
Befort contacted Al Frieling by phone to discuss a maintenance request for L and 230 Roads.
Fritz discussed the following:
- Fritz reported that the mailbox pad for Brandon Shaffer’s is complete.
- Fritz reported on LED lights for the mowers.
- Commissioners discussed maintenance on 265 Road between L & K Roads.
- Fritz reviewed J Road & 150 Road maintenance. Fritz discuss water flow at this location so the rock on the road will not be damaged. Fritz also discussed ditch maintenance at this location.
- James asked Fritz about the bridge on 50 Road between H & I Roads. Fritz indicated the tube is in inventory and will be placed this spring.
- Commissioners discussed maintenance on 210 & 220 Roads.
- James reported that he visited with a representative from ProAg and Central Plains. Both indicated that they will agree to a $.02 charge above current fuel cost and will agree to rotate the fuel purchases between the county fuel providers with a physical presence in Smith County.
- Befort discussed fuel purchases with additive. Commissioners agreed to do some additional information collection.
- Befort discussed the rock pit located at 125 Road between X & Y Roads. Fritz reviewed the factors in determining the rock pit used for each project.
Jerol DeBoer, and Allen VanDriel joined the meeting to discussed the hospital entrance project. DeBoer and VanDriel discussed a time line for completion of the project. Befort asked to schedule a meeting for February 26, 2018. De Boer agreed to assist with arranging a meeting with KDOT representatives.
Eastes & Hageman joined the meeting.
Befort discussed funding for the wellness center. VanDriel indicated that no funding is available in the hospital budget for the wellness center operations. Commissioners discussed the wellness center with VanDriel.
Reinking and Jones joined the meeting.
Befort asked Van Driel to report on current status of the Federal Tax Credit transaction. VanDriel approximately 2.5 million was received. Van Driel indicated that a final report will be available soon. VanDriel left the meeting.
Fritz discussed maintenance on U & 10 Roads.
DeBoer left the meeting.
Hageman discussed the following:
- Hageman asked for a leave day. Commissioners approved time off.
- Hageman discussed the letter which employees received concerning the custodial position. Hageman expressed concerns on rate of pay for the custodial position at the courthouse
- Commissioners discussed possibility of having regularly scheduled department head meetings.
Fritz, Reinking, Hageman and Jones left the meeting.
Eastes discussed the following:
- Eastes discussed an addressing issue from a recent 911 call. Befort requested that Eastes review the information presented with the 911 department head.
- Eastes provided an update on the new EMS ambulance purchase.
- Eates provided and reviewed the current statistical report for January 2018.
- Eastes reported that two people have completed training through the state grant program. Eastes reported that 240 hours of work in the county are required from any employee who completes EMT training using the EIG Program through the state. (Educational Incentive Grant)
- Befort provided information on the new contractual agreement between Jessica Frye, GeoCom, and Smith County to create a work flow for GIS between county departments.
- Befort reported that Roger Allen will be visiting the contractor who is currently working on the new Smith County ambulance. Befort indicated that he plans to oversee delivery of the new vehicle. Befort discussed delivery details.
- James discussed EMS schedule. Eastes reviewed the schedule and indicated that the employee recently hired was still training and would help minimize overtime hours needed. Eastes left the meeting.
Commissioners discussed visiting with Dave Weeks on Thursday, February 26, 2018. James agreed to coordinate the meeting.
Sammi Schirm joined the meeting and asked the commissioners to provide additional information on courthouse maintenance job opening. Commissioners reviewed the job description and answered questions. Schirm left the meeting.
Befort reported on a meeting with NWKsP&D. Commissioners instructed Wolters to pay the 2018 NWKsP&D bill for 2018.
Befort reported on the economic development meeting that he recently attended. Commissioners discussed paying $100.00 to any employee who submits the winning theme for Old Settlers Day. Commissioners agreed to refine the rules for the contest prior to notifying employees.
Commissioners approved a request for payment from Drug and Alcohol Funds to the following:
Smith Center Elementary School 50.00
Pizza Hut 109.92
Thunder Ridge HS 500.00
Smith Center HS 500.00
Commissioners discussed putting on a burning ban and agreed to review the burning ban again next week.
Journal of Proceedings for the Smith County Commissioners Page 3 of 3
Held February 20, 2018
Commissioners reviewed a request for abating SW for one property. Commissioners agreed to review the request next week.
As there was no further business the meeting was adjourned.