MARYSVILLE USD #364
Regular Board Meeting Highlights
February 14, 2018
The regular meeting of the Board of Education was called to order at 6:00 P.M.
Members Present: Lanny Carpenter, Pam Dankenbring, Chris Denner, Kevin O’Neil, Kevin Samuelson, and Sonya Stohs
Member Absent: Todd Milner
Superintendent Bill Mullins was present (via Videoconference).
- Approved the agenda and consent agenda with the addition of a list of supplemental bills. Motion carried 6-0.
- Approved January Minutes
- Approved Bills, Supplemental Bills and Transfers
- Received Clerk’s Financial Report, Treasurer’s Report, Investment Securities Report, Budget Summary, Cash Balance Report and Miscellaneous Reports.
- Received Bond Issue Financial Update
- Approved Gifts:
- Boys’ Basketball Club received $200.00 from Nick and Rylee Wolfe.
- MHS Band received $250.00 from MCAC.
- Vocal Music received $100.37 from MCAC to take 6 students to Real Men Sing.
- The horticulture class received $29.52 in pea gravel from Pam Dankenbring for the aquaponics project in August 2017.
- MES received a $76.00 donation from Kramer Oil (Hunt Brothers Fundraiser).
- Received an anonymous donation in the amount of $39.81 for candy/peanuts/bags for the faculty break during in-service on January 15, 2018.
- No one addressed the Board during Citizens Open Forum.
- Mr. Wheeler gave a report on the Professional Development Day on Monday, February 12th. Teachers and Administrators worked on ELA curriculum resources (Ready Gen, and Journeys) and on our Crisis Plan.
- Mr. Schroeder also gave a report on the Professional Development Day, Career Days, and on attendance at the Spring Parent Teacher.
- Mr. Minneman gave a report on activities and events.
- Mr. Mullins gave a report on the Professional Development Day which included training on the Jason Flatt Act, Bullying, and Sexual Harassment. He also gave a report on Kansas College and Career Ready, Employable Skills and Gemini II which is in support of Kansas’ vision for education.
- Reviewed 2017-18 budget projections.
- The Bulldogs Booster Club spoke to the board that they would be interested in partnering together to purchase a charter bus for events. The board showed interest and two board members will work with the booster club to do a feasibility study whether to pursue this further.
- Discussed repairing or replacing a boiler at Marysville Elementary. The consensus of the board was to send out bids and replace the boiler this summer. The cost will come out of next fiscal year’s capital outlay.
- Mike Mayo gave an update on the current construction project and progress related to the bid packet for the potential Ag Complex.
- Mr. Mullins gave an update on the current progress of potential change orders.
- Adopted the 2018-19 school calendar as presented. (Start date for students will be August 16, 2018 and end date for students will be May 23, 2019). Motion carried 6-0.
- Approved bringing back Summer School (Grades 9-12, possibly adding some 7th and 8th) starting the summer 2018. Motion carried 6-0.
- Following discussion of adding 2 certified positions and a custodian for Marysville Junior/Senior High for 2018-19, approved a motion to open a math position, business teacher position, and custodian for 2018-19. Motion carried 6-0.
- Approved the budget for the Achieve Assessment Study Grant for $5,000. Motion carried 6-0.
- Approved the Marshall County Special Education Services Cooperative Agreement as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
- Following discussion of district credit cards and pre-paid expense cards, the consensus of the board was to move forward with getting a pre-paid expense card.
- Discussed the Board Docs Program and Board Goals & Guiding Principles that were discussed during the board work session on February 7th. Consensus of the board was to move forward with the Board Docs Program. Board Goals and Guiding Principles will be developed during the next few board meetings.
- The board met in executive sessions for a total of 1 hour.
- Accepted the resignation and appointments as presented: Motion carried 6-0.
- Laurie Wright, Kindergarten Teacher, effective at the end of the school year.
- Anna Berger – Assistant Softball
- Kate Lott – Assistant JH Track
- Offered a two year contract to Caroline Green (Special Education Director), Doug Minneman (Activities Director/Asst. Junior/Senior High Principal), Darren Schroeder (Junior/Senior High Principal) and Jason Wheeler (Elementary Principal) with a 3% increase in salary for the 2018-19 school year. Motion carried 6-0.
- Mrs. Stohs made a statement that Mr. Mullins’ evaluation will be conducted later in the year when he is available in person. Consensus of the board is to offer a contract for continued employment to Mr. Mullins as Superintendent of USD #364.
- Meeting Adjourned at 8:40 P.M.