The Smith County Commissioners met in a regular session on January 22, 2018 in the County Commissioners’ Room. Present were Commissioners Art Befort, Tom James and Roger Allen. Also present were Sharon Wolters, Clerk; and, Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor.
James opened the meeting with prayer.
Commissioners approved the agenda for the January 22, 2018 meeting.
Commissioners revised, approved, and signed the January 17, 2017 minutes.
Commissioners approved Payroll # 2 for $104,106.25.
Commissioners approved voucher #36547-36582 from the following accounts:
Noxious Weed 277.04
County Health 247.63
Solid Waste 969.96
Next Gen 911 1899.00
Sheriff’s VIN Fund 552.70
TOTAL $ 27,421.87
Sandra Wick, County Agricultural Extension Agent, joined the meeting and provided information on land leasing rates and rules. Wick reviewed the local leasing survey responses and general lease information. Commissioners thanked Wick for the information. Allen agreed to contact Kugler regarding the change in the landfill farm ground lease for 2018. Wolters agreed to send official notice from commissioners terminating the current lease.
Fritz discussed the following:
- James discussed A Road between 210 & 220 Roads.
- Allen discussed maintenance on Z Road between 180 Road and Highway 36.
- Fritz reported that 190 Road between G & H Roads should be complete this week.
- James asked Fritz to review the rock list. Fritz reported that he will move 120 Road between V & W Roads and 100 Road between S & T Roads up the rock list to complete several smaller projects because the weather is not likely to allow for completion of some the larger rock projects at this time.
- Fritz discussed the work completed by the road department during bad weather. Fritz reported that they have been doing tree trimming and cutting scrap iron.
- Befort asked Fritz to review the county policy for vehicles used by road department blade men. Fritz reviewed the number of employees that have county pick-ups. Commissioners asked Fritz to review the current policy with the county blade men that have county vehicles.
- Befort asked Fritz to add signs reading 4-Way Stop below the current stop signs at 4-way intersections.
- Befort asked about 140 Road between X & Y Roads.
Dave Tucker joined the meeting.
- Befort indicated that he likes the road finish created by the serrated teeth blades. James agreed.
- Commissioners asked Fritz about any new hire. Fritz stated that there has been no changes at this time.
- Fritz provided paper work for Federal Allotment Projects. Commissioners signed the documents for Project #193-16 and Wolters attested the commissioners’ signatures. Fritz left the meeting.
Tucker discussed the following:
- Befort discussed the application for the KDHE Recycling Grant program.
Commissioners asked about the tire recycling grant. Tucker stated that we have additional room to accept tires. Wolters agreed to place the information on the clerk’s Facebook page.
- Tucker discussed terms of the lease for landfill farm ground. Commissioners agreed to discuss the hunting rights when the new contract is negotiated with Kugler. Tucker indicated that he does not wish to have any use of firearms near the landfill when the landfill is open.
- Wolters reported on a voucher system created for commercial landfill C & D pit users. Wolters indicated that the clerk’s office will allow for pre-payment to be made at the clerk’s office and coupons will be issued for commercial haulers using C&D pit which can be presented at the landfill as payment.
Tucker left the meeting.
Commissioners reviewed the job applications for the courthouse position. Commissioners agreed to do some additional reference checks. Commissioners asked Wolters to set up an interview for one of the applicants next Monday.
Commissioners discussed supervisor’s annual job reviews. Commissioners prepared job reviews to be discussed later with department heads.
Max Dannenberg joined the meeting and asked for additional maintenance on 280 & O Roads. Dannenberg left the meeting.
Scott Hartman, Van Kappel representative, and Mitch Fritz joined the meeting. Hartman discussed wheeled excavator and mulcher equipment. Hartman provided cost information for commissioners’ review. Fritz indicated that this equipment would be a replacement for the 1988 back hoe. Hartman and Fritz left the meeting.
Roger Allen made a motion and it was seconded by Befort to adopt a lease with Sunporch as proposed. Motion carried unanimously. Commissioners signed the lease agreement.
As there was no further business the meeting was adjourned.