TOPEKA, Kan. – Jan. 4, 2018 – When it comes to preparing for a disaster, AAA Kansas says, most people forget one very important thing: a home inventory. According to the Insurance Information Institute, only half of homeowners have an inventory of the possessions they’d want their insurance company to replace in case of a fire, theft or other disaster.
“In the aftermath of a fire or other damage to our property, it’s likely many of us would be emotionally drained. The last thing we would want to do is make a list of everything we lost,” said Alex Greig, Regional Insurance Manager for AAA Kansas “Preparing in advance for an unexpected disaster could mean a faster return to normal life, and a little less stress along the way, including a quicker claims process.”
Greig added that January, right after acquiring new items as holiday gifts, is the perfect time to create or update a home inventory.
Five Easy Steps to Create a Home Inventory
- Grab your camera, smartphone, or pen and paper and take a tour of your home.
- Record everything you’d want your insurance company to replace. Don’t forget items that may be hidden away in your closets and garage.
- Pull together copies of sales receipts and any other documentation. Also note model and serial numbers if you have them.
- Store your home inventory and related documents in a safe and easily accessible place, including online, with friends or family, or in a safe deposit box. Don’t rely solely on your home computer, which should always be backed up, in case of fire or a hard drive crash.
- Add up the replacement costs for all of those items to make sure you have enough insurance. Not all policies cover the actual replacement costs, so be sure to check with your insurance agent to make sure you have the coverage you need. In some cases, an additional endorsement may be needed for valuables such as jewelry, cameras, furs, firearms, trading cards, comic books or other items. The availability of endorsements varies from state to state; check with your insurance agent to find out what is offered in your area.
Creating a simple home inventory helps you track what you own and what it’s worth. It can be invaluable in deciding how much insurance coverage you need and ensuring you are protected if you ever need to file a claim.
To find out more about homeowners, condo, or renters insurance, contact your local AAA Kansas insurance agent, call 866-AAA-4YOU or visit www.aaa.com/insurance.