The Smith County Commissioners met in a regular session on November 13, 2017 in the County Commissioners’ Room. Present were Commissioners Tom James, Art Befort, and Roger Allen. Also present were Sharon Wolters, Clerk; and, Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor.
Commissioner James opened the meeting with prayer.
Commissioners began the November 7, 2017 canvass of votes prior to completing the regular business.
Commissioners reviewed the totals of each polling site from election night and verified number of votes. Commissioners reviewed provisional ballots and determined one to be ineligible. Commissioners tallied the write-ins for the provisional ballots. Votes cast were added to the totals and verified. Commissioners determined two ties and broke the ties by lot as required by law. The following persons were deemed to be the winners by lot:
James Black-Cedar City Council
Devin Shockley-Athol City Mayor
Commissioners signed the abstract of votes to certify votes cast. Commissioners closed the canvass of votes.
Commissioners approved the agenda for the November 13, 2017 meeting.
Commissioners approved, and signed the November 6, 2017 minutes.
Commissioners approved voucher #36073-36174 from the following accounts:
Nox Weed 452.58
EMS Grant/Mem 886.14
Solid Waste 1708.74
Next Gen 911 4769.43
Commissioners approved Payroll #23 for $97,271.76.
Commissioners approved two longevity raises.
Commissioners discussed removing the burning ban. Commissioners agreed to wait one more week to review the burning ban.
Befort reported that Smith County has been awarded a second Dane Hansen county clean-up grant for tire clean up in Smith County.
Dave Tucker joined the meeting.
Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor, discussed the following:
- James asked Fritz about maintenance on 280 & W Roads.
- Befort thanked Fritz and reported that he received praise for work completed on the county roads.
- James asked Fritz if he an updated rock list has been completed. Fritz said he will get one up to them later today.
- Befort provided a copy of the recent permit for road work approved by the commissioners and a deposit check from Norris Maydew. Commissioners agreed to accept $150.00 reduced rate because Maydew did not wish to do the snow removal.
- Befort asked about tube and drainage maintenance on BB & 90 Roads and AA & 90 Roads. Fritz agreed to review the location.
- James asked about tube maintenance on G & 70 Roads. Fritz indicated it was not complete at this time.
- Fritz reported that the tube project at Cedar City is complete.
- Fritz indicated the bridge at 180 Road between Y & Z Roads will be repaired today.
- Fritz reported that the drainage work on 165 Road will have to be addressed in 2018 due to budget restraints in 2017.
- Fritz discussed mower replacement. Commissioners reviewed several options.
- Commissioners asked Fritz to get prices for power nail gun for the bridge crew.
Fritz left the meeting.
Tucker discussed the following:
- Befort reviewed NWKsP&D Solid Waste Reports.
- Commissioners discussed how to assess landfill fees for C & D waste. Commissioners wished to do additional research, but agreed that any commercial business that is bringing C&D waste to the landfill from property where no landfill special tax is assessed will be charged $200 per load until a formal policy is adopted.
- Befort discussed the tire disposal grant and how to establish who can use the grant program to receive free tire disposal. There was some discussion about adding a set of scales for use at the landfill and how to establish parameters for the accepting tires and specials waste using the grant proceeds. Commissioners will establish boundaries before advertising the grant.
Tucker left the meeting.
Chairman Allen signed the KCAMP agreements including Resolution 17-15 approved in the November 6, 2017 Smith County Commissioners’ meeting, a Rate Stabilization Agreement and a contract for insurance coverage for 2018-2020 with KCAMP which included acceptance of the bylaws of the pool.
As there was no further business the meeting was adjourned.