These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
September 25, 2017 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, September 25, 2017 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Dennis Henry and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• he needs more channel iron to continue to do bridge work. Following discussion, Commissioners agreed to purchase a load of bridge steel from Husker Steel at a cost of
Bob VanWinkle, Sam Rottinghaus, Ross Mosteller, and Deb Henry came before the board on behalf of the Nemaha County Fair Board to thank Commissioners for their help with improvements made recently at the fairgrounds. The group also spoke to Commissioners about a few other improvements that they would still like to make as well. Commissioners advised the fair board to get these improvements made and send the invoices to the county for payment.
Senior Services/Public Transit Director Diane Yunghans came before the board to request a pay increase for Sharon Haverkamp who has been with the county for six months now, and for Don Strathman who has been with the county for six years now. Following discussion, Commissioners approved a pay increase for Sharon Haverkamp from $12.80 per hour to $13.56 per hour effective August 21st and also approved a pay increase for Don Strathman from $15.37 per hour to $15.46 per hour effective September 21st.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• they are currently holding eleven inmates in the jail and one inmate at the Osawatomie State Hospital.
• they booked in seven individuals into the jail this past week. Rich stated that they also have holds on a few individuals that are currently being held in other facilities as well.
• the Seneca City Police Department would like to use the county’s shooting range temporarily until they find another place to use once the municipal airport is sold.
• he has hired Cassandra Beck to fill the full-time dispatch position that was open in the Sheriff’s Office. Cassandra will begin work for the county on October 1st at a rate of pay of $13.31 per hour.
Kristina Romine and Cheryl Roberts came before the board on behalf of the Northeast Kansas Multi-County Health Department. They requested that Commissioners support their
organization in 2018 with an appropriation of $6,100, which is the same amount that was appropriated to them in 2017.
The board reviewed the minutes from the September 18, 2017 meeting. Dennis Henry moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of September.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners spoke to Brad about the county’s liability if the Seneca City Police Department would utilize the county’s shooting range.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 12:50 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, October 2, 2017 at 9:00 am.