Journal of Proceedings for the Smith County Commissioners
August 7, 2017
The County Commissioners met in a regular session on August 7, 2017 in the County Commissioners’ Room. Present were Commissioners Roger Allen, Tom James and Art Befort. Also present were Sharon Wolters, Clerk; and, Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor.
Commissioners approved the agenda for the August 7, 2017 meeting.
Commissioners approved, and signed the July 31, 2017 minutes.
James opened the meeting with prayer.
Commissioners approved Payroll #16 for $100,500.30.
Commissioners approved Voucher #35642-35684 from the following accounts:
Nox Weed 254.88
Solid Waste 298.17
ROD Tech Fund 188.84
Next Gen 911 Fund 2906.32
Sheriff VIN Fund 2045.00
TOTAL $ 100,412.86
James reported that the Farm Bureau Board wishes to meet with the commissioners on August 28, at 1:00 p.m. Commissioners discussed and agreed on a probable format. After some discussion, commissioners agreed to meet from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. on August 28 in a special meeting to discuss the questions submitted to the commissioners in an earlier meeting. Commissioners instructed Wolters to contact the auditor to see if she could be present to answer budget preparation details requested. Wolters agreed to contact the auditor.
Fritz discussed the following:
- Fritz reported on the Bellaire Elevator Road and provided a letter from Jerol DeBoer, Penco Engineering, detailing possible solutions and other pertinent information.
- Fritz discussed South Railroad Ave. near Lebanon. Commissioners discussed tube size for this location. Fritz reported that a KDOT representative will view the location as well.
- Lon Seaman joined the meeting and discussed safety concerns about the intersection of Y & 280 Roads. Seaman provided photos for reference. Fritz discussed corrective options. Commissioners agreed to view the location.
- James discussed the crushed concrete patches on P Road. James discussed some options and Fritz agreed to consider putting signs at this location. Befort reported that he had received calls about P Road. Befort reported that Fritz and he had driven the road and felt it was in good repair but were willing to place signs to indicate there may be loose rock.
- Allen discussed 60 Road maintenance.
- Fritz reported on changes to the Federal Funding Program. Fritz said his recommendation is to use the money for bridge repairs when possible. James asked for clarification about using funds for tube replacement. Frtiz indicated that that is an allowable expense with the Federal Fund program as well.
- James reviewed bridge replacements scheduled at this time. Fritz reported that they are currently working on two bridges located on AA Road.
Fritz left the meeting.
As there was no further business the meeting was adjourned.