Journal of Proceedings for the Smith County Commissioners
July 31, 2017
The County Commissioners met in a regular session on July 31, 2017 in the County Commissioners’ Room. Present were Commissioners Roger Allen, Tom James and Art Befort. Also present were Sharon Wolters, Clerk; and, Mitch Fritz, Road Supervisor.
Commissioners adjusted and approved the agenda for the July 31, 2017 meeting.
Commissioners approved, and signed the July 24, 2017 minutes.
Allen opened the meeting with prayer.
Commissioners approved Voucher #35624-35640 from the following accounts:
Solid Waste 930.61
TOTAL $ 5268.46
Commissioners signed the Federal Fund agreement for bridge project 17-101.
Allen signed the quit claim deed for the 112 N. Lincoln property sold by the county.
Commissioners reviewed and signed journal entry 17012 & 17013.
Fritz discussed the following:
- James asked Fritz about purchasing additional crushed concrete. Fritz reported that all of the crushed concrete that was crushed earlier will be used for 150 Road. Fritz indicated that he purchased some additional crushed concrete to be used on S Road.
- Commissioners discussed water flow at the intersection by the Bellaire elevator. Fritz reported that the engineer will view the location this week.
- James discussed 30 Road maintenance. Commissioners agreed that Fritz had resolved the issue. James expressed his appreciation for the efforts made by Fritz to address concerns in a timely manner.
- Befort discussed CC & 210 Roads maintenance. Fritz reported that he plans to do additional work at this location before fall.
- James discussed crushed concrete road surface. Fritz reported that some repair work was completed with crushed concrete on P Road.
Patrick Eastes joined the meeting.
- Befort and James discussed spreading wind rows across the road. Both expressed their appreciation for reducing the use of wind rows.
- Fritz reported that some additional maintenance was needed on one of the road department mowers. Befort discussed mowing south of Smith Center. Allen discussed mowing around the signs. Fritz agreed to address the issue with the mower operators.
- Befort discussed the 3 month contract with Allen Hill for road maintenance. Commissioners agreed to extend the agreement until further notice if Hill agrees to those conditions. Befort agreed to contact Hill.
- Befort discussed viewing T Road between 30 and 50 Roads.
- Befort addressed mapping data and the installation of the new screen donated to the county for the commissioners’ room.
- Allen discussed maintenance on bridge #246 located on 280 & Z Roads.
Fritz left the meeting.
Eastes discussed the following:
- Eastes discussed the impact of employees being on medical leave and indicated that additional overtime will be used. Eastes indicated that he will use part time people as much as possible. Eastes indicated that he plans to do cross training for future needs.
Fritz rejoined the meeting.
- Eastes discussed residency policy for EMS workers. Commissioners discussed the advantages of residency. Commissioners agreed to leave the current residency policy in place.
Adam Ifland joined the meeting.
- Befort asked about the status of the newly purchased ambulance. Eastes reported that the order is placed and there is a probable 45 day wait. Befort indicated that he would like Eastes to have an opportunity to visit the remote module site located in Comanche, Texas if possible.
Eastes left the meeting.
Fritz reviewed Bridge #246 details. Fritz left the meeting.
Adam Ifland, representing Smith County Farm Bureau Board, discussed the forum requests discussed in an earlier meeting. Ifland provided a list of questions which the Smith County Farm Bureau Board wished to have addressed in written form or in a forum. Commissioners discussed the current access to information. Befort attempted to clarify the scope of the meeting request. Befort would like to attempt to have additional data collected on a larger scale prior to holding a forum. Commissioners agreed to review the questions and respond with as much information as possible. Ifland left the meeting.
Fritz and Jerol DeBoer, Penco Engineering, joined the meeting. Fritz reported that he and DeBoer will view the Bellaire Co-op Elevator location discussed earlier in the meeting. DeBoer discussed prioritization of bridge repair and reviewed some of the factors that influence the repairs. Fritz and DeBoer left the meeting.
ElDean Holthus joined the meeting and thanked the commissioners for using CVB Funds for the Home on the Range updated brochures. Holthus also discussed a site study at the Home on the Range cabin being completed with grant funding. Additional acreage will be opened in the future for education and visitation. Holthus reported that the Home on the Range movie has had multiple showings and has helped to publicize the site. Holthus reported that future videos are being considered. Holthus also discussed the county fair. Holthus praised the fair organizers and thanked the fair board and fair workers. Holthus left the meeting.
Tabitha Owen joined the meeting.
Wade Wagner, Fair Board President, joined the meeting and discussed the organization and appointment of the fair board. Wagner reported on the current organization of the fair board members. Wolters reported that a current audit indicated that the fair board is using the county tax ID # and asked Owen to clarify what Kansas laws require to allow the board to continue to organize and operate in compliance with the law. Commissioners asked Wagner if the fair board has a preference on county involvement. Wagner indicated that the board is open to any structure that facilitates efficiently organizing the fair. Owen agreed to do additional research.
Owen and Wagner left the meeting.
As there was no further business the meeting was adjourned.